Thursday, November 20, 2014

Video Introduction






Hello!
My name is Dana Thompson and I learned American Sign Language in college. I began taking Spanish for 4 years in High School as well as a semester in college, but then began to grow bored of it. I then decided to learn ASL my second semester of college and fell in love with it ever since.
As far as my interpreting goes, I would say that my strengths include my facial expressions and non manual markers, and also my voicing skills. I’d like to think that my vocabulary is well developed and assists me in my voice interpreting. I think that my weaknesses include finger spelling, processing time, and dropping the English form so that I can focus more on the actual meaning of the message.
As an interpreter, I think that the Code of Professional Conduct is very important because it gives clear expectations of every party involved, from the interpreter to the consumer. Not only does it set standards, but it also gives you guidelines and principles of how to handle certain situations while maintaining one’s professionalism. And with that, it just makes an interpreter’s job that much easier.
During this internship, I strive to learn how to let all of my inhibitions fly out of the window. Any nervousness or fears that I may harbor, I hope to learn how to let it all go, be more confident and just feel comfortable in this career. My long term goal for the field of interpreting really consists of one thing; I wish to establish myself as a trusted interpreter not only in the Deaf community but in the interpreter community as well, while building strong, long lasting relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment